Who we are
The Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute (IGTP) is a public research centre in the Autonomous region of Catalonia in Northern Spain dedicated to increasing scientific knowledge and transferring it to improve the care and lives of patients.
The institute is attached to one of the large teaching hospitals in the Barcelona area; the Germans Trias University Hospital (HUGTP), and is located on the biomedical campus that surrounds it, Campus Can Ruti. It is a CERCA centre; a member of the biocluster supported and supervised by the Autonomous Catalonian Government. It is also accredited as a Centre of Excellence by the Instituto Carlos III (Spanish Government) and in this capacity acts as an umbrella organization for scientific research on the campus, where it works closely with the other centres located there.
The Germans Trias Institute carries out research within 9 areas:
- Science of Behaviour and Substance Abuse
- Immunology and Inflammation
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory Diseases
- Infectious Diseases
- Endocrine and Diseases of the Metabolism, Bones and Kidneys
- Diseases of the Liver and Digestive Tract
- Community Health
Scientists working in these areas publish an average of over 500 papers a year, contribute to improved treatment and healthcare protocols, produce patents and set up spin-off companies in order to improve the lives of patients.
The 2014-2017 Strategic Plan for the IGTP reinforces its traditional role as the cornerstone of research management on the campus but also recognizes the need to further increase synergies between the different research institutes there while also boosting excellence in specific areas. The IGTP plays a vital role in providing and coordinating transversal services and platforms for all researchers on the campus and promoting quality and innovation. It fully embraces a solid commitment to society as a whole and recognizes the obligation to continue and increase the amount of training of scientists and healthcare workers and also to carry out activities to inform and involve the public in general in the scientific endeavour.
The mission of the IGTP is to create a multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional environment that opens the gates to highly efficient translational research with a view to improving people's heath and quality of life.
The vision of IGTP is to remain a prestigious biomedical research centre and become a benchmark not only in Catalonia but worldwide; a centre that helps improve the health and quality of life of people by relying on sustainability, excellence, professional expertise and the technological transfer of its research
- Leadership and excellence: we must be a reference in the most important and relevant areas of research.
- Innovation: we are innovative and constantly strive to improve concepts, methodology, technology and clinical practice.
- Working for Society as a whole: we seek progress in health through education, translation and knowledge-transfer.
- Multidisciplinary: we constantly encourage and foster synergies between internal and external groups.
- Ethics and a humanitarian vision of biomedical research: we carry out biomedical research adhering to strict codes of ethics and always maintaining a humanitarian view of biomedical research.
- Sustainability: we are always vigilant in the management of resources and the environment.
Strategic Plan 2018-2021
The strategic plan was drawn up taking into account strategic documents for Catalan, Spanish and European health research.
Some of the IGTP Strategic projects are co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.