CANDIDATES DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME INPHINIT "LA CAIXA”
Myotonic dystrophies (DM) are rare diseases with multiple organ involvement. Type I DM (DM1) can appear at any age, with pediatric forms being less frequent and more severe. These infant forms are devastating and have no treatment. Early onset is conditioned by the length of the CTG gene expansion -the greater the expansion, the earlier the onset- although this only explains 60% of DM1 cases and epigenetics could also influence. In addition, the number of toxic RNAs, derived from the CTG expansion, is unknown. This project will generate new knowledge in the pathogenesis of DM1, specially with the focus of understand what determines the onset of this disease at the pediatric age. The objectives are: 1) To carry out a clinical and genetic registry of pediatric DM1 patients and adults; 2) Characterize the genetics and epigenetics of pediatric and adult DM1; 3) Analyze the quantity and size of the toxic RNA in DM1 using 3D cellular imaging; The methodology used includes multiple techniques of genetic, epigenetic, protein and RNA analysis, and molecular imaging through fluorescence microscopy.
We are looking for a motivated PhD student willing to learn. Someone who wants to help patients and contribute in research. We are an international team, and we are looking for someone adding value to the team, with good attitudes for communication, and with great work capacity. The experimental work to develop, will include DNA, RNA and protein techniques, which will include from the traditional PCR/western blot to the most advanced technologies, including small pool PCR/high resolution microscopy imaging. Contact with clinicians of our team, will be key to compare the molecular data with the clinical manifestations of the patients. All this work will be presented in important conferences and reported to high impact publishing journals, of this area of research.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCIE:
The applicant must have the following qualifications:
- Since this is a very competitive call, to have good qualifications and experience in research, would be an advantage for the candidates.
- To be in the first four years of their research careers and not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Completed studies that lead to an official university degree of the European Higher Education Area or another university degree that gives access to doctoral studies.
- Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
- Demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The specific tasks for this post will be:
- To carry out a clinical and genetic registry of pediatric DM1 patients and adults.
- Characterize the genetics and epigenetics of pediatric and adult DM1.
- Analyze the quantity and size of the toxic RNA in DM1 using 3D cellular imaging; The methodology used includes multiple techniques of genetic, epigenetic, protein and RNA analysis, and molecular imaging through fluorescence microscopy.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The doctoral fellowship programme INPhINIT "la Caixa" is devoted to attracting talented Early-Stage Researchers-of any nationality-who wish to pursue doctoral studies in the Spanish and Portuguese territories. Sponsored by "la Caixa" Foundation, it is aimed at supporting the best scientific talent and fostering innovative and high-quality research in Spain and Portugal by recruiting outstanding international students and offering them an attractive and competitive environment for conducting research of excellence.
- The doctoral INPhINIT fellowships offer a highly competitive salary and complementary opportunities for training on transferrable skills, temporary stays in industry, incentives upon completion of the thesis, among other elements that make these fellowships some of the most attractive and complete in Europe.
- The IGTP will take part in the programme offering 10 PhD positions. Find your PhD position with detailed information (Select "IGTP- Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute").
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any further questions, or if there are particular issues you'd like to discuss regarding your potential candidacy, please contact fundacioigtp(ELIMINAR)@igtp.cat.
For details of the grant, applications and selection criteria process, and other general questions, please visit the INPhINIT programme website.
HOW TO APPLY:
The selection process is performed by the "la Caixa" Foundation where the candidates should apply. Subsequently, the selected candidates propose the Centre and PhD position they wish to take up.