CANDIDATES DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME INPHINIT "LA CAIXA”
We are a multidisciplinary and international team made up of clinicians belonging to the Neurology and Pediatric Unit of Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital and specialized basic researchers at Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute (IGTP), with the main objective of finding treatments for neuromuscular and neuropediatric diseases that have no cure yet.
We are looking for highly motivated predoctoral researcher, with good communication and organizational skills, and great work capacity, willing to learn and join our research team to contribute to analyze the impact of HDAC11 deficiency in chronic and incurable muscle pathologies (DMD, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy; and DM1, Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1), hoping to ameliorate disease progression. The main objectives are:
- To analyze the impact of HDAC11-deficiency on DMD in mice.
- To characterize mitochondrial (dys)functions in DM1 patient-derived muscle cells.
- To remodel mitochondrial activity in DM1 patient-derived muscle cells by modulating HDAC11 levels.
- To identify HDAC11 interactors in skeletal muscle cells. is a close and very productive collaboration between all the research lines within the group.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCIE:
The consultant must have the following qualifications:
- To be in the first four years of their research careers and not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Completed studies that lead to an official university degree of the European Higher Education Area or another university degree that gives access to doctoral studies.
- Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
- Demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
- Since this is a very competitive call, to have good qualifications and experience in research, would be an advantage for the candidates. In addition, it will be considered the ability to work in a team, good communication skills and high motivation for research/science.
The specific tasks for the consultant will be:
The project requires an interdisciplinary approach combining animal handing, tissue-injury regeneration, histology, immunohistochemistry, microscop, and molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA/protein extraction, qRT-PCR, Western Blots, plasmid preparation, transfection).
FAC sorting and cell culture experiments (with patient-derived and mouse models-derived cells) will also be required, and transcriptomic (single-cell RNA-seq), proteomic and bioinformatic analyses will also be done.
Our group has established solid collaborations with recognized experts in myogenesis, muscular dystrophies and mitochondrial metabolism, which guarantee to the students to have technical and scientific support if needed.
WHAT WE OFFER:
The doctoral fellowship programme INPhINIT "la Caixa" is devoted to attracting talented Early-Stage Researchers-of any nationality-who wish to pursue doctoral studies in the Spanish and Portuguese territories. Sponsored by "la Caixa" Foundation, it is aimed at supporting the best scientific talent and fostering innovative and high-quality research in Spain and Portugal by recruiting outstanding international students and offering them an attractive and competitive environment for conducting research of excellence.
The doctoral INPhINIT fellowships offer a highly competitive salary and complementary opportunities for training on transferrable skills, temporary stays in industry, incentives upon completion of the thesis, among other elements that make these fellowships some of the most attractive and complete in Europe.
The IGTP will take part in the programme offering 10 PhD positions. Find your PhD position (https://finder.lacaixafellowships.org/finder with detailed information) and (Select "IGTP- Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute").
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any further questions, or if there are particular issues you'd like to discuss regarding your potential candidacy, please contact fundacioigtp(ELIMINAR)@igtp.cat.
For details of the grant, applications and selection criteria process, and other general questions, please visit the INPhINIT programme website.
The selection process is performed by the "la Caixa" Foundation where the candidates should apply. Subsequently, the selected candidates propose the Centre and PhD position they wish to take up.