SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
We are seeking a Linux systems administrator who will be responsible for the management of a scientific computing facility (/technology-services/high-performance-computing/) that includes a 240 core cluster, several servers, workstations, 500 Tb raw disk storage and backup facilities, to provide support to research groups of the IGTP. Besides fulfilling the systems administrator duties listed below, the successful candidate will be expected to propose and implement improvements in the design of the system when necessary.
The Institute for Health Science Research Germans Trias i Pujol (IGTP) is a public research centre located at the Can Ruti Biomedical Campus, Badalona, near Barcelona. The IGTP is dedicated to increasing scientific knowledge and transferring it to improve the care and lives of patients. The institute is attached to one of the large teaching hospitals in the Barcelona area; the Germans Trias University Hospital (HUGTP), and is located on the biomedical campus that surrounds it, Campus Can Ruti. It is a CERCA centre; a member of the biocluster supported and supervised by the Autonomous Catalonian Government. It is also accredited as a Centre of Excellence by the Instituto Carlos III (Spanish Government) and in this capacity acts as an umbrella organization for scientific research on the campus, where it works closely with the other centers located there.
Bioinformatics and in particular Genomics is an area of research shared between many research groups of the Can Ruti campus that use the computer cluster on a regular basis.
- Operating system installation and maintenance (Linux, currently Debian)
- Control of user access
- System monitoring
- Management of the queuing system (SGE)
- Software installation and upgrade
- Management of databases
- Management and installation of the central servers and also the servers that are owned by the different research groups and the Genomics Unit
- Management of the backup copies of scientific data
- Maintenance of hardware dedicated to scientific computing
- Consulting for acquisition and purchases of new computing equipment
- Training of research staff in the good use of scientific computing equipment
- Coordinating with the IT department (responsible for the network administration, e-mail and windows software)
- Documenting all Linux administrative tasks and procedures
The candidate should have a Computer Science/Informatics/Bioinformatics degree/equivalent with/or a demonstrated track record in:
- Configuration and administration of Linux computer clusters
- Knowledge of scripting languages (bash, python, perl, ruby)
- Experience in automating OS installation
- Experience with configuration management tools (puppet, ansible)
- Strong diagnostic and analytical skills
- Basic understanding of IT security principles and best practices
- Experience in virtualization technology
- Experience in monitoring and firewall systems
- Installation and maintenance of scientific software
- Working knowledge of Linux systems administration in a biomedical research setting and/or scientific computing and/or communications with LINUX and UNIX-based systems (including Mac OS X)
- Network administration skills will be considered a plus
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Windows administrators will NOT be considered.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Hours: Full time (flexible hours will be considered)
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- when authorized by the fiscal and financial measures established by the general budget of the Generalitat de Catalunya and the basic regulations of the general budgets of the state.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter with the contact details of at least two referees to rrhh(ELIMINAR)@igtp.cat
PLEASE PUT THE REFERENCE CODE FOR THIS POSITION IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR E-MAIL.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing date: 31 of December 2018 however applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an on-going basis until this vacancy is filled.